This is the time for slow cooked casseroles, deep winter colours and food to keep you warm. The beetroot gives it extra colour and a tasty, slightly earthy flavour, just don’t wear a white T shirt when you are eating it.
Recipe serves two hungry people, best cooked in a slow cooker or casserole
Cook for 4 hours on high heat in a slow cooker, longer on a low heat OR casserole in the oven for 2 hours on 180℃
- 500 grams of stewing lamb
- 1 medium size beetroot
- 1 large carrot
- 1 purple onion
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms
- 50 – 100 g of Chef Bernie’s Smokey Hot Sauce (50 g if you like it milder and up to 100 g if you like it medium to hot.)
- 150 ml of hot water
- ½ a teaspoon sea salt
- 2 dessert spoons plain flour
- A splash of olive oil
- Put slow cooker on to heat up
- Wash and peel the carrot & beetroot, cut into chunks
- Slice onion and mushrooms
- Put the flour onto a flat plate, roll the lamb in the flour
- Put a good splash of olive oil into a large fry pan on a high heat
- Sear the lamb on both sides until it’s nicely browned,
- Add in all the prepared vegetables and stir making sure that everything is nice and hot before putting it all into the slow cooker, this speeds up the process of cooking
- Add the hot water, smoky hot sauce, and salt, stir well and then place the lid on
- Cook for 4 hours on high heat or casserole in the oven for 2 hours on 180℃
- Serve with cauliflower, sweet potato and potato mash, or rice.
3 thoughts on “Smokey Hot Lamb with Beetroot”
such a great post
Mmmm lovely… You got me with the ‘hungry people bit’!
LikeLiked by 1 person
When we made the recipe we were really hungry!