Here’s an island family favourite – Chef Bernie’s delicious recipe for this fragrant light soup appetiser with a mild tasting fish base. The recipe is part of our VIP Sauce Club Cosy Caribbean Autumn Recipe Book.
Serves 4 – Prep time 10 minutes – Cook time 20 minutes
- 480g firm fish of your choice
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Small bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- ½ tsp vegetable stock powder
- Knob of butter
- 100ml cold water
- 1 tsp Chef Bernie’s Very Hot Sauce
- Chop the fish into 2-3cm chunks – any smaller and it will fall apart!
- Add the butter, spring onion, shallots, garlic, turmeric, thyme and coriander to a large saucepan and heat until the butter melts.
- Add the fish and the water to the pan with the stock powder. Stir the ingredients together and increase the heat to boiling.
- Once at boiling point, turn the pan down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Check that the fish is cooked through, stir in Chef Bernie’s Very Hot Sauce, and serve. Serve with Chef Bernie’s Cheesy Dumplings – let’s mop up those fishy flavours!